2018 MTV VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS
For the last 10 years, Telescope has worked with MTV to deliver real-time fan experiences and 2018 The MTV Video Music Awards was a great example of this.
Winning the Shorty Award for best in LIVE EVENTS, MTV increased year-over-year digital engagement and video views and drove huge tune-in to the live broadcast.
And we like to think we played some small part in that!SOLUTION:
Working closely with the VMA team, we looked at new ways we could engage fans across their native social landscape in the lead up to and during the live event.
Telescope powered multiple vote components for the campaign including the launch of two new solutions – Alexa Voice voting for the Artist of the Year category and a new Instagram Stories solution for an exclusive social category.
- Participants required to login through Facebook, Twitter, or email.
- Users can vote for one nominee in each of the 12 Traditional voting categories, once per day per login method (Facebook, Twitter or Email)
- Social sharing button integration
- Integrated Voting On Amazon Alexa for the Artist of the year category
- Expanded voting with an Instagram Stories exclusive social category, Song Of Summer,
- Users tapped polls and swiped up to vote
- We integrated our dynamic vote solutions to power this, creating a seamless way for fans on Instagram to take part in real-time
- During the red carpet, we powered the Best New Artist vote which was moved exclusively to Twitter for a live social vote.
- What followed was an all-out hashtag battle between the top two nominees during the live VMA broadcast (spoiler alert: #voteCardiB came out victorious!)
- #1 Most Social Program on All of TV on 8/20/18 (per Nielsen Social Content Ratings)
- #VMAs trended Worldwide for 10 hours the night of the show with 8 hours at #1. Plus, the VMAs had 11 additional Worldwide trending topics.
- #VMAs trended in the US for 12 hours the night of the show with 8 hours at #1. Plus, the VMAs had 15 additional US trending topics.
- +46% total engagements YoY
- Twitter hashtag battle vote volume was +10.7% YoY
- @VMAs Facebook page nearly doubled its followers in 2018, experiencing +70% growth and breaking 1.1M followers
- Song Of Summer voting on Instagram Stories generated 3.2M impressions and 660k engagements
- @VMAs Instagram account saw +25% growth in the week leading up to the show